RE-Source 2017 - The European PPA boom is just beginning
By: Saskia Choffel, Business Development & Marketing Officer and Alyssa Pek, Communications Assistant
On the 10th and 11th of October, SolarPower Europe and Wind Europe, in collaboration with RE100, organised the first European event connecting green energy buyers and suppliers: RE-Source. The two day event about corporate sourcing was a huge success with a lot of positive energy in the venue. Let us look back at the conference in a few facts and figures:
- Over 500 registered participants, including representatives from over 70 multinational corporations actively buying clean energy
- Over 220 prescheduled B2B meetings between clean energy buyers and providers
- The final agenda included some of the worldÃ¢ÂÂs leading buyers, suppliers, advisers and decision makers and covered all possible aspects of corporate renewable energy sourcing
- Numerous side events, including a breakfast meeting at the European Parliament, media Q&A, exclusive roundtable with buyers & suppliers and RE100 members meeting
- Strong support from WBCSD, CEFIC, IRENA CfA, CEM and our five Strategic Partners: EDF EN, Enel Green Power, Envision, Google and Vestas.
There was one thing that was clear as the conference came to a close - the potential for corporate sourcing of renewable energy in Europe is significant and largely untapped. To support its growth and bring a new stream of revenue into the European electricity market, it requires a consistent regulatory environment and awareness of this opportunity needs to be raised across a range of different stakeholders.
SolarPower Europe and WindEurope, RE100 and WBCSD have therefore established the RE-Source Platform. It is the first and only multi-stakeholder platform in Europe bringing together the interests of both renewable energy buyers and sellers. The RE-Source platform will pool resources and coordinate activities to promote a better policy framework for renewable energy sourcing, at EU and national level.
"Following our hugely successful RE-Source event in October 2017, which connected over 500 large corporate players and renewable energy companies, it made perfect sense for us to launch this Platform. Given also the current update of the EU's Clean Energy Package, the time is right for us to work together to remove barriers to companies wanting to power their operations with renewable energy" said James Watson, CEO, SolarPower Europe.
We would like to thank all the participants and sponsors again for making those two days memorable and invite everyone to join us for next year's edition in Q4 2018.
Learn more about the innovative RE-Source Platform here.
Picture highlights from the event can be seen here.