Emerging Markets Task Force
Solar is booming globally with huge market potential in developing regions, such as Asia, Africa, Latin America and the Middle East. SolarPower Europe has launched an emerging markets task force to identify business opportunities for all solar companies in these new and often thriving markets.
The goal of the emerging markets task force is to reduce barriers to solar deployment in new markets by addressing the key regulatory, administrative and bankability challenges in emerging solar markets.
The task force will facilitate:
- The sharing of best practices, such as SolarPower Europe's Operation and Maintenance Best Practices Guidelines or Tendering Guidelines
- The leveraging of the European Union's external action and international cooperation policy
- Engagement with decision makers in third countries and the EU to shape the regulatory and business environment of emerging markets
- The provision of market analyses
- The development of reports that identify business opportunities
Key activities and deliverables of the Emerging Markets Task Force in 2018 include:
- Thematic market-specific workshops and webinars
- Elaborating market reports which identify market obstacles
- Webinars on issues such as PPAs, tendering, access to funding
- Updating the Tendering Best Practices Guidelines for emerging markets
- Establishing a monthly newsletter to provide our members with the most relevant and up-to-date information on latest developments in emerging solar markets
The work in the Emerging Markets Task Force exploits synergies with existing initiatives SolarPower Europe is already involved in, such as the Africa-EU Renewable Energy Cooperation Programme, the Terrawatt Initiative and the International Renewable Energy Agency's Business and Investors Group.
The kick-off meeting of the Emerging Markets Task Force took place on 13 March 2018 in Brussels with more than 50 attendees.