We are seeking an experienced expert on grid-related challenges for solar PV and storage
29 August 2022
Background on SolarPower Europe
SolarPower Europe is the award-winning link between policymakers and the solar PV value chain. Our mission is to ensure solar becomes Europe’s leading energy source by 2030. As the member-led association for the European solar PV sector, SolarPower Europe represents over 260 organisations across the entire solar sector.
With solar sitting on the horizon of unprecedented expansion, we work together with our members to create the right regulatory and business environment to take solar to the next level. Our specialised workstreams, convened by our dedicated policy experts, bring solar organisations together to better understand and influence the current priority issues and legislation impacting solar development.
With an office in the heart of Brussels’ EU quarter, our strong relationships and partnerships with key stakeholders ensure solar’s leading role in the European energy transition and beyond.
We offer a dynamic working environment within a close-knit and multicultural team in Brussels.
We are seeking an experienced expert on grid-related challenges for solar PV and storage. The position aims at coordinating SolarPower Europe’s input to the grid-related files that are coming up on the EU agenda, but more broadly support the association in developing a multiannual engagement strategy on grid related issues. This includes: the review of grid connection rules, the development of an approach for advanced capabilities of solar PV, the discussion on grid tariff methodologies and on distribution system operators’ remuneration, the development of rules for demand-side flexibility markets.
In addition, after a year in the position, the person will propose a three-year strategy for SolarPower Europe engagement on grid-related topics. A draft strategy will be expected after six months.
The position is in SolarPower Europe’s offices in Brussels. The contract is for a full-time, upon discussion.
- You have worked for, or in close contact with, a transmission or distribution system operator, in a grid unit of a solar and storage EPC or a solar PV component or battery manufacturer. You have a degree in a relevant discipline (Electrical engineering, Energy Economics);
- You have a strong expertise on the challenges related to the grid connection of solar PV. An expertise on the grid connection and integration of storage is a plus. You are familiar with ancillary services (frequency and non-frequency related) and the related technical and economic challenges;
- You are familiar with the architecture of the regulatory framework impacting grid connection of solar PV and storage, including grid planning procedures, grid tariffs methodologies, grid connection requirements (including EU network codes), grid operation rules. Knowing about the EU-level architecture of rules (Clean Energy Package Electricity Market Design Regulation and Directive with regards to network codes, ancillary service provisions, storage) is a plus;
- You have a good network with transmission system operators, distribution system operators, energy regulators, and/or their representatives at EU level, as well as relevant national or EU level government representatives; and
- You are fluent in English and at least one other EU language.
- You have a passion for the energy transition and for renewable energy. You want to contribute tackling the challenge of integrating large amounts of renewables in grid, in particular distribution grids;
- You have a sense of entrepreneurship and appreciate working in a small, horizontal organization;
- You are hardworking, result-oriented and able to provide creative and simple solutions to complex issues;
- You are a good communicator and are able to express ideas in a clear and concise manner, in both written and oral forms;
- You have demonstrated your ability to coordinate multi-stakeholder projects, with senior representatives; and
- You are a team player and can work under time pressure.
Reporting to the Head of Regulatory Affairs, the Senior Expert will be required to perform the following tasks:
- Coordinate the Grids & Flexibility Workstream of SolarPower Europe;
- Prepare SolarPower Europe’s input to the revision of the EU Grid Connection Code;
- Coordinate SolarPower Europe strategy and input on Advanced capabilities of inverters;
- Engage with relevant stakeholders around measures to support the grid connection and integration of solar PV, based on the Grid Planning and Grid Connection paper and develop additional ideas in that regard;
- Develop SolarPower Europe position on grid connection and grid use tariffs;
- Identify and solve issues related with grid connection of battery storage and possible provision of ancillary services ; and
- Represent SolarPower Europe in relevant expert groups to grid connection, in particular those set up by ENTSO-E, the EU DSO entity and ACER.
In addition, the Senior Expert will propose a three-year strategy for SolarPower Europe’s engagement on grid-related topics. A draft strategy will be expected after six months.
- Prepare briefing notes, presentations and relevant materials in relation to these policy area(s) for members, the management team, external stakeholders and journalists;
- Conduct research and produce evidence-based positions to support our positions on the role of prosumers to enable further renewables-based electrification of our economy and the remaining bottlenecks to address;
- Define and implement advocacy strategies to promote our positions by interacting with EU-decision makers and stakeholders;
- Create, maintain and extend over time a strong network of contacts in the Brussels EU policy community;
- Ensure external representation of our positions by attending and speaking at workshops and conferences;
- Contribute to the content of SolarPower Europe’s communication channels e.g. newsletter, social media and website; and
- Performing any other tasks or duties required of the role as appropriate.
Some international travel within Europe will be required.
SolarPower Europe offers a comprehensive compensation package commensurate with qualifications and experience for this full time, permanent position.
Please email your application in English to SolarPower Recruitment (firstname.lastname@example.org ) before COB 29 August quoting “Senior Expert on Grids” and your full name in the email subject line. Your application should include:
- A cover letter (maximum 1 page) outlining your motivation for the job, why you would be a good candidate and when you would be able to start;
- a CV (maximum 2 pages).
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.