In light of the upcoming communication on Industrial Strategy within the European Green Deal policy framework, which will spell out the EU’s long-term vision on
Golden opportunity for European solar industrial leadership
Europe needs an overarching strategy for the solar power sector. European solar stakeholders from across the entire value chain – such as researchers, production equipment suppliers, raw and processing materials companies, inverter manufacturers – are world-leaders in their respective fields, and an industrial strategy will ensure that Europe maintains its solar leadership into the future.
The first official communication on Industrial Strategy within the European Green Deal policy framework is due to be released in March 2020, which will clarify the EU’s long-term vision of European manufacturing and innovation.
Why we support an industrial strategy for solar
SolarPower Europe's industrial strategy objectives
and 2030 vision
1. Jobs and general value added (GVA) should be dramatically increased in the solar sector by 2030: Europe should target 300,000 solar jobs by 2030 compared to 81,000 Full-Time Equivalents (FTEs) in 2016.
2. The EU should boost EU domestic demand for solar so at least 20% of Europe’s electricity demand is powered by solar energy by 2030. It will drive the competitiveness of the EU PV supply chain, and therefore job creation and value creation in Europe:
• Accelerate the deployment of utility-scale solar in Europe.
• Boost the market uptake of innovative solar technologies developed in Europe such as Building-Integrated PV and floating solar.
• Explore the contribution of solar energy beyond the power sector, through solar-based sector coupling.
3. To secure a globally competitive PV supply chain in Europe, policymakers should provide an attractive business environment, and develop top runner investment programs for large-scale manufacturing facilities in cutting-edge solar technologies.
4. The European Union should reopen negotiations on the Environmental Goods Agreement and work with international partners to eliminate trade barriers on green goods and support European solar companies in accessing new markets.
4th High-Level Industry Forum
Industrial Strategy Letter
Fraunhofer ISE joins letter that calls for industrial strategy for renewables to be at heart of European Green Deal The first official communication on Industrial
Industrial solar strategy: How to support local solar PV technology manufacturers to compete at home and on a global level
This article is the first entry in SolarPower Europe’s 10-part blog series on EU Solar Trends. “As solar in Europe is entering a record-breaking growth